If I Can Run Anyone Can
Lets talk about running.
Running is something that has become a constant in my life for so many reasons and I want to share with you why.
What are you mad?
I could never do that!
I’m not a runner
Those are some the reactions I get the I talk to my friends about running 13 miles.
What they don’t realise until I tell them is that in not really a runner either. I just do it. I get out there, sometimes just slowly if I’m not feeling on top form, and sometimes I surprise myself by getting to the top of a big hill that I haven’t before.
I have been jogging on and off since I was fourteen. I got started by doing a walk run program that I got from a running magazine. Since then I have had breaks, picked it up again but each time made a bit of progress with my fitness and understanding of the hobby.
I have gone from being able to run 1 mile to running 10K races, to completing 3 half marathons, each one a improvement on the last time.
Now this wasn’t a quick process but it just shows you that someone who isn’t particularly sporty or and outdoors type can do it.
It really doesn’t matter how you do it or how good you are. Its what the run will give you that’s important.
I haven’t planned to sign up for any races yet this year but I am sure I will at some point. The feeling when you cross the finish line a funny thing that I am slightly hooked on. You feel like you have done the impossible and you get such a buzz that lasts days.
It really is a hobby for the but the reason I sometimes set myself goals is to keep motivated, have something to work towards and have a healthy focus.
What happens when you make a goal and see it through is sometimes surprising and why running is such an amazing form of fitness for personal development and creating some calm in your life.
The reasons I like running are endless but heres a few:
- Its free
- You don’t need a lot of expensive equipment - just some half decent trainers and a sports bra
- Almost anyone can do it
- It gets you out in the fresh air
- You can do it pretty much anywhere
- You can do it on your own or with friends
- Its easy, just put one foot in front of the other
- It makes you feel amazing
- It gives you loads of energy
- You get a real sense of achievement
- Its gives you time to clear your head and focus your thoughts
- There is always another goal to reach, improving your time or distance
My favourite thing to do to clear my mind and regain some calm when life is feeling hectic is to run to the sea, stop and listen to the waves until I feel restored then run home again.
There are so many unexpected gains I have found making it a part of my life. Here are a few of the things running has taught me about myself.
- What seems impossible can often be achieved
- I am stronger than I know
- I am capable of so much more than I realise
- You really can do whatever you put your mind to
- If you work and something consistently it pay off in the end
- If you believe in yourself you are halfway there
- My mind is a powerful thing
- What you focus on you become
- I can do anything I want to do
I hope I’ve given you a bit of inspiration to get out there whether its your first time or you want to get back into it. As they say its never too late and you’re never too old.