Why we should set goals and what they could do for you
We have goals at work so why should we have them in our personal lives? Standing still with nothing to aim towards can sometimes make us feel lost. Having a purpose and meaning in your day helps ground you and gives you motivation and excited you.
If you want your life to be a certain way then you need some sort of a plan to get there. The goals are part of the plan. With this you can take on life and really go get your dreams.
There is nothing more attractive than someone who knows what they want and are doing everything to make it happen.
What does personal goal mean?
They can be anything that you want to achieve, big or small. It might be something which could seem easy to another person but you have always struggled with that you want to conquer such running a 5K race or mastering cooking a 3 course meal. It could be something big that you never thought could be possible for you such as starting your own business.
Whatever it is you need to figure out what you really want and whats important to you.
How to figure out what you really want:
- Make time for yourself to allow you to think without distractions
- Try new things to see find what you enjoy
- Journal each day to identify things you might want to change or improve
- Be adventurous with your goals, don’t limit yourself
- Write a list of all the things you want to do or achieve
- Prioritise your list in order of importance
- Take the first thing on the list and focus on that
- Once you have ticked that thing off the list go on to the next thing
How to make it happen:
- Take a goal set a realistic timescale that you would like to achieve this by
- Write a list of things you need to do to get to the goal
- Set the list of into mini goals
- Put timescales to each mini goal
- Write a program of what you are going to do when
- Check in with your plan at the end of each stage and adjust if you need to.
- Focus on each part one by one and slowly by surely you will get there
When considering what changes you might want to make for your personal development it is worth splitting it down into areas of your life.
Key elements to focus on:
- Health & wellbeing
- Skills and hobbies
By looking at these key areas of your life it can make it easier to identify what you might want to aim for and set a few goal. Don’t try and achieve these goals all at once as you will be reading yourself too thinly. Identify the most important one to you and for on that first.
Setting personal goals is not about adding more pressure to your life, its really about finding happiness and contentment in everyday life.
You can do anything you set your mind to if you arm yourself with the right tools and surround yourself with people that will encourage and support you.